Today we are doing our first day of ASK sessions on the book The Wall. Middle school students are interviewing a panel of our local Vietnam veterans. Here is a sampling of their questions from today.
- How did you adjust to the different climate and culture in Vietnam?
- What was a typical day like for you?
- What encouraged you to be in the military?
- What did you excel in?
- Would you rather fight in Iraq today or back then in Vietnam?
- How and where did you sleep when you were in battle?
- What did you eat while you were there?
Some of the classes started their questions with, “Thank you for your service to our country. My question is….” The panel of veterans very much appreciated this little gesture from the students. You should have seen them beam as students started asking their questions. Even at lunch they were still talking about those respectful, well-prepared students!