Today we have two ESL classes, one from Lakeshore Middle School, and one from Edmonton Public Schools practicing their English skills with each other.
The classes started with introductions. First the students each introduced themselves and told where they were from, their native language, their favorite food and movie.
Then the classes asked each other questions. Here are some of them:
- Why did you move to Canada?
- How many brothers and sisters do you have?
- Where is your country?
- Would you like to go back to your country?
- How do you feel living in Canada?
- What were the teachers like in your home country to compared to how they are here?
- What are some differences between America and your home country?
- How do the other students in the school treat you?
The classes discussed hockey (Edmonton beat Detroit last night) and weather (it is currently snowing in Alberta). This was a great project and clearly was a great experience for the students. Not only did they practice their English skills, but they realized they are not alone in their experience integrating into another society.