This blog post accompanies my session, The Power of Collaboration, presented at the 2018 Nebraska Distance Learning Association Conference.
PPT (minus the video clips)
A few recommended blog posts regarding collaboration
- What do you see as the power of collaboration?
- Collaborative projects are the “third wave”
- The future of collaborations
- Sharing a biochemistry class via videoconference
- Curriculum videoconferencing definition
COIL: Collaborative Online International Learning
COIL is the higher ed version of what the videoconference projects I was heavily involved in till 2011. Read more from my recent attendance at a COIL Conference where I made connections between the two:
- What is collaborative online international learning?
- COIL needs CAPspace
- Ideas for collaborative online international learning
- Comparing collaborative projects at the K12 and higher ed levels
- A focus on “international” in COIL
- Supports needed for COIL
- Research literature on COIL
K12 Collaboration Examples Shared
- Ecoconversations (Note: since wikispaces is closing down this summer, I’ll be moving this site soon.)
- Read Around the Planet, coordinated by TWICE in CAPspace
- MysteryQuest, MysteryQuest USA, HistoryQuest (Note: since wikispaces is closing down this summer, I’ll be moving these sites soon.)
- MonsterMatch / Monster Mayhem
- 123 VC: Jazzing Up Your Curriculum with Videoconferencing
- Cifuentes, L., & Murphy, K. L. (2000). Promoting multicultural understanding and positive self-concept through a distance learning community: cultural connections. Educational Technology Research and Development, 48(1), 69-83.
- Martinez, M. D., & MacMillan, G. (1998). A Joint Distance Learning Course in American Government (No. ED428005).
- Owston, R. (2007). Contextual factors that sustain innovative pedagogical practice using technology: an international study. Journal of Educational Change, 8(1), 61-77.
- Sweeney, M. A. (2007). The use of videoconferencing techniques which support constructivism in K-12 education. Dissertation Abstracts International.
- Warschauer, M. (1997).Computer-mediated collaborative learning: Theory and practice. Modern Language Journal, 81(3), p. 470-481. Also at http://www.gse.uci.edu/person/markw/cmcl.html
- Yost, N. (2001). Lights, Camera, Action: Videoconferencing in Kindergarten. Paper presented at the Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education International Conference.
- For more videoconferencing related literature, see my research and dissertation.