Now that you’ve decided to participate in Read Around the Planet, it’s time to tackle the registration process.
If this is your first year, it is a bit of a challenge. If you are having any problems at all, please email me at my Read Around the Planet email for this time of year: firstname.lastname@example.org and I can help you!
Step 1: Verification
- The first step is to take care of equipment verification, and soon! We’re trying to get verification done by Friday, January 8!
- Verification lays the foundation of the matches for Read Around the Planet. It helps us find out if you have VC equipment, and how it connects (i.e. can you receive calls, etc.).
- Verification instructions are online here as well as little online videos to explain the process for you.
- There’s a chance someone is taking care of this for you. Double check: in CAPspace, click My Profile and see if you have the little IP icon. If so, you’re done with this step!
Step 2: Registering Teachers
Next, think about how you will organize your participation:
- Will you have classes participate during library/computer time? or during teacher’s class time?
- Will you prep the students for the session or will your teachers do that?
- Will you register for your teachers or have your teachers do their own registration?
- Have you checked your school’s calendar (tests, training days, etc.) for any potential conflicts?
- Will you limit participation to make it manageable for yourself? If so, how many will you do? (We recommend 5 or less for the first time.)
Collect the information you’ll need when you register. You can do this while you’re waiting for the verification process to finish too.
- Teacher name, email, work phone number
- Grade level
- Language (choices for 2010 are English, English as a Second Language, French, German, Mandarin Chinese, Spanish, Special Education)
- All the times the teacher can do. Time choices are every half hour between 7 am and 7 pm your time.
Then, make sure you register by January 13, 2010! More tips for RAP Registration are online here.
- Take some time to watch the Read Around the Planet coordinator and teacher videos if you haven’t already.
- Get at least one Read Around the Planet registration step done today!
- Please comment! How are you getting organized for Read Around the Planet this year?
If you are totally new to collaborative projects and/or would like step by step assistance making a collaborative project happen, from start to finish, sign up for Kid2Kid Videoconference Connections, a six week online course beginning January 25.