Before the Meeting Starts
- Find out what the indicator of the microphone is for muting and notice when your site is muted or unmuted. In a multipoint videoconference (more than 3), you should mute when you are not speaking. Make sure your site is muted until the facilitator or meeting leader calls on your site.
- Find the picture in picture (or display of your room) and pay attention to what others are seeing and hearing from your site.
During the Meeting
- During roll call and introductions, let people know who’s in the room with you if they are not on camera.
- Identify yourself when speaking. (This is John from Berrien Springs, and my question is…..)
- Speak up and interrupt if there is a technical problem.
- Do not expect perfection.
- Be conscious of audio delay but continue your thought even if someone interrupts, and then pass the floor to them.
- Necessary side conversations could happen via instant message or email tools. Communicate appropriately!
Ending the Meeting
- Say your usual thank you and farewell greetings.
- Send follow-up communications via email.
Your Turn: What other tips would you share?