Keynote by Dave Cormier
I participated in the twitter stream this morning during the keynote, which was great! But I thought I’d just collect here some resources mentioned and shared in the twitter stream that I want to keep:
- OLC program description and resources of the keynote
- Avoiding Resistance to Grading Contracts – blog post by Dave
- Explanation of how learning contracts work
- You know what you need, you need a learning contract
- Syllabus / learning contract (with student comments) in an open GoogleDoc for one of Dave’s recent classes
- Paper: Not Ready to Let Go: A Study of Resistance to Grading Contracts
- Quote: “Many, in fact, needed to take out the contract from their backpacks as a reference, as they could not remember which provisions they liked and which they objected to.” Spidell and Thelin
- Rhizo14 cMOOC
- Quote: “Virtually every student expressed the belief that the opportunity to assume responsibility for shaping their contractual obligations helped maximize their commitment to the course and fostered ownership of their learning in ways that the conventional grading practices did not.” Brubaker, Nathan, D. 2010.
Lots of fodder to think about. Loved this keynote.